In 2016, people started to embrace our Moments of luck campaign. The campaign had made its way into the Quebecers daily life, but in 2017, we had to find new relevant contexts to still surprise them in order to increase the lottery sales.
In many countries there are phrases that have evolved from popular culture and advertising to become part of the national vernacular.
E.g in the UK, when people misread something, people say “You should have gone to Specsavers” (a big optician brand) or in the US people respond to demonstrations of strength or energy with “you must have eaten your Wheaties today” (a popular cereal brand).
French Canada is no different. In the province of Quebec, when a random and unlikely event of luck happens, people will say “you should play the lottery”.
So for Lotto 649, Quebec’s most famous lottery game, we decided to use turn this insight into a campaign of its own,
We set out to make Lotto 649 synonymous with moments of everyday luck and change the expression from ‘you should play the lottery’ to ‘you should play Lotto 649’.
We’d do this by placing our messages next to a series of everyday moments of luck through paid media.
However, for these activations to remain surprising and relevant, multiple contact points had to be activated in real time, identifying every moment of luck that people would experience throughout the day.
This campaign would therefore need to be innovative at all touchpoints - from negotiating never-seen-before-before placements to bringing together the media, advertising and vendor stakeholders together to create complex and real time activations which involved manual manipulations and technical challenges from all sides.
Across several months in 2017, we delivered our campaign across numerous media executions, targeting many moments of luck which were filmed and distributed on social media, including :
• At Montreal’s Pierre-Eliott Trudeau’s airport, the passengers who were lucky enough to get their luggage first has stickers on their cases telling them they should play 6/49.
• On Black Friday we celebrated the luck of drivers who found the best parking space at a highly crowded mall, by painting the entire space with « you should play 6/49 ».
• On New Year’s Eve we contextually placed ads inviting the lucky first new parents of 2018 to play Lotto 6/49 by contextually placing ads next to online coverage fo the story,
• In newspaper horoscopes we identified the luckiest astrological signs and tailored ads aimed at them (they are Scorpios and Libras, in case you were wondering)!
• And in a summer of unusually poor weather, in August we activated sunshine-activated digital ads that were personalised to tell entire cities who were lucky enough to have good weather to take advantage of their good fortune and play 6/49.