• Capitalise on the understanding that the car and car journeys are key to quality family time.
• Entertain and educate the family.
• Stay true to the Discovery’s heritage, using mystery and factual themes to promote it as a vehicle for adventure.
• Promote Discovery’s state-of-the-art engineering/capabilities.
Land Rover’s roots lie in its off-road capabilities. The Discovery continues that tradition but is so luxurious owners and target audience need to be reminded of its potential for adventure.
What’s more, as children are spending more time behind individual screens and indoors, we wanted to get families enjoying the outdoors together, promoting the Discovery as the ideal vehicle for an adventure.
Mindshare saw the car itself as an opportunity to promote adventure and family time, as it’s both an off-roader and a hub of high-spec multimedia entertainment.
How often is the whole family together, in close proximity, for extended periods of time? When you’re in the car on a day out. It’s a special moment – and it should be treasured. Research commissioned from Dr Jessica Pitt revealed the positive benefits of in-car time for families: conversations facilitated, distractions reduced, better bonding.
Land Rover believes that adventure is about more than the destination – we think it should start the moment you get in the car.
And thanks to The Discovery Adventures, a podcast series planned and produced by Mindshare for JLR, now it can – and it will be a journey to remember.
Mindshare created an immersive mystery-drama podcast series for the whole family, set in some of the UK’s most extraordinary places. Recorded entirely in innovative binaural sound specifically for the unique environment of in-car listening. Featuring an all-star cast and the UK’s leading outdoor experts. It’s the first-ever branded, binaural podcast that turns everyday drives into thrilling adventures.
We saw an opportunity to create a positive in-car experience for our core audience of affluent young families, using podcasts as a medium by which to engage and excite families. So we created an experience that the whole family could share, one that encouraged them to get out and explore the UK countryside - together. We featured some of the UK’s leading outdoor experts in our podcast story, including Chris Packham, Alice Roberts, Neil Oliver, Professor Lucie Green, Sir Ben Ainslie, Sir Ranulph Fiennes. We enthralled our audience with a unique mix of fiction with fascinating facts, creating truly engaging scenarios that parents and kids could discuss together.
We kept overt branding to a minimum - as we knew an over-corporate approach would put people off. Instead, we embedded elements of the car’s capability, innovative engineering and even the sounds of the doors closing into the story itself.
This is how we ensured that the Discovery was at the heart of our mystery-drama podcast, delivering a compelling Land Rover adventure to families on-the-move, whatever car they’re driving.
Mindshare designed the podcasts so they create a sensational, engaging, and interactive atmosphere to enthrall the whole family. The music and sound design were created specifically for these podcasts by Roots Manuva and FRED, keeping it contemporary and fresh. The series was recorded in binaural sound showcasing the car’s capabilities and engineering and putting you right at the centre of the story.
The entire project, from the idea, through the production of seven episodes, to the creation of trailers and radio ads were delivered by Mindshare UK.
• Seven episodes of 'The Discovery Adventures' - a mystery-drama podcast series for families, set in some of the UK’s most extraordinary places. Recorded on location, and entirely in binaural sound, we created it to be listened to in the car, as a family.
• Each episode is a unique mix of fact and fiction. We used immersive binaural sound to put you at the heart of the story. You are ‘Sam’ (a character in the drama), and you, your Uncle, and your Uncle’s dog travel the UK to solve the mystery of GPS disruptions that are causing nationwide chaos.
• Distribution partnership with key podcast platforms Acast and Spotify (A Spotify first!) culminated in a targeted plan using intelligence data to reach our family audience.
• Produced seven radio ads, bespoke to each podcast episode. Radio allowed us to amplify our message within the car, enabling our audience to be inspired on the move. These ran on Thursdays (the day our podcast was released) and Fridays, in the lead up to the weekend (a time when families are likely to go on an adventure together).
• A 7-week targeted paid, and organic social media campaign (utilising and amplifying on existing talent reach).
• A micro and macro influencer marketing campaign.
• Supporting content for Land Rover brand properties - including behind-the-scenes video and interviews with our outdoor experts.